Sunday, January 8, 2023
James R. Armstrong Theater
3330 Civic Center Drive, Torrance (map)
12:00 PM and 3:00 PM
We are more than excited for the 2023 Winter Recital at the James Armstrong Theater in Torrance. If this is your first time participating, please read through all of the information so that show day goes smoothly for you and your dancer.
Dress Rehearsal: See below for exact day and time for your dancer’s class. Dancers will come to the Dance 1 studio in full costume, makeup and hair, as they will wear it on show day. Jump to Dress Rehearsal Details.
For help getting your dancer’s hair ready, check out our bun tutorials:
Company Low Bun Products & Supplies Needed
Creating & Securing the Low Bun
Dance 1 Redondo Ballet Prepping the Hair Tutorial
Mighty Mini & Mini Co Creating & Securing the Two Buns
Mighty Mini & Mini Company Hair Prep
- Call time (the time your dancer should arrive) is one hour before show time. There are two shows so make sure you know which your dancer will be performing in. Please allow extra time to arrive at the theater! Costume, hair and makeup often take longer than expected.
- Important: Dance shoes are only allowed in the theater (on stage and backstage). Please do not allow your dancer to wear his or her dance shoes to, from the theater.. Shoes should be covered when not dancing. You can use large socks, boots, slippers…whatever works best, or simply take dance shoes off or put them on once you arrive and check in at the theater..
- Be sure to visit the restrooms one last time before dropping your dancer off at the stage door.
- All dancers will be released to parents at the end of each show.
- Finally, we invite you to slow down and enjoy the day with your family. A dancer’s participation in the show is much more than the time spent on stage. It is a whole experience, an opportunity to share something with loved ones, and a chance to celebrate a huge accomplishment. Please stay and enjoy the rest of the show…let your dancer experience other genres and levels of mastery.
As always, you can talk to your teacher or the front desk if you have any questions.
We look forward to spending the day with you.
Which Show is My Dancer In?
Combo: Weekday classes are in the 12pm show, Weekend classes and ALL Combo 2/3 will be in the 3pm show.
This is a ticketed event.
We ask that dancers attend all their classes leading up to the show so that they are consistently learning with their fellow dancers. This is important for their confidence on stage as well as knowing how to be spaced with their fellow dancers.
- Make sure you have appropriate colored shoes and tights for your dancer that are in good condition for show day. Ask your teacher or the front desk if you need further information on these details. All items can be purchased at Dance 2-Tu. Please don’t wait until the last minute!
- Ballet shoes should be pink for girls and black for boys
- Jazz shoes should be tan
- Tap shoes should be black
- Tights: light pink for ballet, tan for jazz, and tan for tap
- Dress rehearsal and Show Day: your dancers should come to the dance studio and also the theater in costume with full make up and hair done. Again, see above for the hair bun tutorial
- Makeup: please use mauve and neutral colors. Lipstick, blush, eyeshadow, and if your dancer can tolerate it then eyeliner and mascara.
- Hair: Bun with hair accessory (if provided) on the right side. Hair should be slick and a hair net should be used to tame flyaway hair. Gel and hairspray are usually needed. Short hair needs to be secured off of the face. Boys: hair should be secured with gel or hairspray to keep it off of the face.
- Please practice at home. The Toddler and Combo choreography will be online at dance1redondo.com/choreography. For all other leveled classes, the teachers will invite adults or the students with devices to video the choreography at the end of class. Our philosophy is to provide a well-rounded dance education and not just drill for a show, so time dedicated to choreography is limited to the last 5-10 minutes of class, but are important skills for performing and non-performing students in technique, memorization, timing with music and working with fellow students. Please have your dancer practice at home for confident dancers on show day.
- Costumes : On January 1st hang your costumes up so that the wrinkles can release. If you feel it needs additional help with wrinkles, you may carefully use a steamer or you can hang the garment in the bathroom during hot showers so the steam can help without damaging the costume material. You should NOT use an iron.
- If you would like to volunteer, please let us know. We need parent volunteers to assist our dancers behind stage for lineup and costume changes and check-in. We also need parents to help in the Combo holding room after they perform.
Dress Rehearsal Details
All dance rehearsals will take place at Dance 1.
|COMBO 2/3/4/5 DRESS REHEARSALS|
|Weekday Combo Classes: Friday, January 6, 2023|
Call Time: 3:00pm, we will release dancers at 3:30pm
Saturday Classes & ALL Combo 2/3 Classes: Saturday, January 7, 2023
Call Time: 2:30pm, we will release dancers at 3:00pm
|ALL OTHER CLASSES|
FRIDAY, JANUARY 6, 2023
|3:00 – 3:30|
Combo (except Combo 2/3) 12pm Show
3:30 – 3:40
D1- Crew Hip Hop – Ms. Jaden
3:40 – 4:10
Pre Jazz Saturday – Ms. Corinna
Jazz 1 – Tuesday – Ms. Annie
Lyrical 2 – Tuesday – Ms. Donna
Lyrical 3 – Monday – Ms. Jordan
Ballet II – Wednesday – Ms. Kiahna
4:10 – 4:40
Jazz 3 – Wednesday – Ms. Donna
Pre Ballet – Saturday – Ms. Kiahna
Jazz 1 – Thursday – Ms. Corinna
Ballet IV – Thursday – Francesca
Contemporary 1 – Thursday – Ms. Kiahna
|4:40 – 5:00|
Mini Company – Ms. Corinna
Mighty Mini Company – Ms. Corinna
5:00 – 5:20
Full Company for Clarity
5:20 – 5:35
Pre Professional Company – Shapes
5:35 – 6:05
Contemporary 1 – Tuesday – Ms. Annie
Adult Contemporary – Ms. Kiahna
Ballet I – Saturday – Ms. Sofia
Pre Jazz – Friday – Ms. Audrey
Lyrical 1 – Wednesday – Ms. Corinna
6:05 – 6:35
Lyrical 1 Monday – Ms. Jordan
Ballet III – Saturday – Ms. Francesca
Pre Jazz Wednesday – Ms. Jordan
Jazz 1 – Wednesday – Ms. Donna
6:35 – 6:50
Sr Company – Muse
|SATURDAY, JANUARY 7, 2023|
|2:00 – 2:30 |
Ballet I – Wednesday – Kiahna
Ballet II – Tuesday – Francesca
Ballet I – Thursday – Kiahna
Pre Ballet – Monday – Kiahna
Adult Ballet (Beg) – Thursday – Corinna
2:30 – 3:00
COMBO 3:00PM Show
3:00 – 3:30
Adult tap advanced – Ms. Corey
D1 Crew Tap – Ms. Corinna
Tap 1 – Monday – Ms. Corey
Adult tap – Wednesday – Ms. Francesca
Pre Tap – Thursday – Ms. Erin
Tap 2 – Saturday – Ms. Corinna
3:30 – 4:00
Dance Trio – Tuesday – Ms. Erin
Jazz 2 – Saturday – Ms. Donna
Pre Ballet – Friday – Ms. Sofia
Jazz 2 – Monday – Ms. Jordan
Contemporary 2 – Wednesday – Ms. Donna
|4:00 – 4:30|
Pre Ballet – Thursday – Ms. Kiahna
Pre Ballet – Wednesday – Ms. Kiahna
Jazz 3 – Wednesday – Ms. Donna
Ballet I – Tuesday – Ms. Annie
4:30 – 4:40
Apprentice – Ms. Donna and Ms. Francesca
4:40 – 5:20
Ballet II – Saturday – Ms. Francesca
Contemporary 1 Monday – Ms. Jordan
Ballet 10 + – Saturday – Ms. Kiahna
Pointe II – Thursday – Ms. Francesca
Adult Ballet – Ms. Francesca
5:20 – 5:40
Company – Ms. Francesca & Ms. Donna
Company – Ms. Jordan